http://bit.ly/WLisLv

2nd half of show

Guests

Coach Burrough

Lloyd Time (my son)
Billy Dasher
Chris Richmond
Jared Godfrey
Excellent job by Coach Burroughs and the kids. Nice that the company promotes all sports!
Wrestling starts at 30 mins into program
Since I'm presently into my "Walter" phase of life (see Jeff Dunham), I'm naturally going to complain about the interview. To me it summed up a few of the problems with moving wrestling ahead in Alabama. I had no problem with Coach Burroughs and the young men in their representations of our sport. And I guess I'd even have to concede that they did indeed make the point that wrestling can help you (not hurt you) in your football pursuits. But it would also be helpful if greater emphasis was given to the fact that "Wrestling is a great equalizer. Where else can you see a kid who weighs 106 pounds become the hero? Not basketball, probably not baseball, certainly not football; but in wrestling you can. - re-phrased from Fredric Golding"... seems like I've seen that written somewhere recently (Brian?)!!! Only it's not even just 106... it's probably at least the first 6 weight classes (or more?). That's a decent number of guys in high school who could feel like they don't have to skip school athletics because of their size (be it because of genetics or just pre-puberty). And why does wrestling have to come off as a "Bubba J" (see Dunham again) sport where the interviewers only know how to refer to it as "wrasslin"? Shaking the image that the sport is related to the WWC crap has been an image battle for decades already. As with any interview, the less the interviewers know about the subject being presented, the less likely the results will impress the uninformed to give it a chance. Oh well... at least the sport got more publicity than I am used to hearing about lately.
Gary Litzinger
My son did point out on that interview there are more smaller weight participants than heavy usually because wrestling has no size requirement.

However, that point could have been more blatantly emphasized.

I think that was where they were headed when they asked Godfrey if he could take a bigger kid down. Godfrey is 132 or something like that so he represented the smaller guy.

Also, I appreciate yall watching. Perhaps the more viewership we get for this episode, maybe they will consider making it an annual event where they invite all the 1st place wrestlers in 6a to come on and dedicate the whole hour.

Or just do a 1/2 hr segment annually with the blue map team.

Views make a difference. If something is popular, they will do it. Increases advertising revenue.

So plz spread the word.

Maybe some folks in the Alabama wrestling Community will call them and request more wrestling. Really, if you do call, it would be great. Yall, we can make it happen.
While I enjoyed the interview, and could look past the two yahoos conducting it, I agree with "Walter" above. To the uninformed, Snapper & Co. made "wrasslin'" look like a two bit, hick activity. Thank goodness Coach Burrows and his boys presented themselves so well.

Get Snapper and his buddy of camera, replace them with Lloyd & Billy, and you would have a rocking segment.
(02-08-2013, 10:10 AM)BrianHoyt Wrote: While I enjoyed the interview, and could look past the two yahoos conducting it, I agree with "Walter" above.

I'm going to try to leave Walter at home when I come up to State, Brian... otherwise I'll be sitting off in a section all by myself (even my wife won't get close when I'm "Walter"... hey, wait... I'm supposed to be happy about that... Right? Hope to see you up at Huntsville (good luck to your son)... only one more week!!!Big Grin
Gary Litzinger
Thanks, I will be up in my usual perch. Come by and see me!
(02-08-2013, 11:49 AM)BrianHoyt Wrote: Thanks, I will be up in my usual perch. Come by and see me!
Same here. It's a date.

Won't be there Thursday, but planning to be there Friday evening this year. (Last year, could only make it to Saturday.)
(02-10-2013, 10:48 PM)BamaGrappler Wrote: Same here. It's a date.

Won't be there Thursday, but planning to be there Friday evening this year. (Last year, could only make it to Saturday.)

I'll save you a seat! Can't wait!