Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lets really talk wrestling
Not. Laaaaasewoueeeer wraslin'

How about OW's

1-4a Campbell got it, what about Dent? 5a, Wommack or Brindley? And in 6a JA got it, over other 2xer and 2. My gut is you could argue 6a all day, but I bet you could settle 4a and 5a on the mat. Who you got?
Didn't brian white get it in 6a?
In 1A-4A I thought it should have been Dent. His body of work for the season was impressive. He took first at the Heart of Dixie and had a great year. 5A I got Womack he does not seem to be bothered by the big stage of the State tournament. 6A was White from Opelika not Jones although both were deserving. Most overlooked all year was Hester from Smith Station at 170. The weight class is not deep with talent but he pulled off an undefeated year.
I really thought in 6a it should have been Brian Walker with a big upset over Woodall and he also had a really great season to go with that...if Jake would have been a senior I would have gave it to him, because I thought it was the most competetive wt. class( I'm sorry I can't help but be biased there).........5a? definitely Brindley..no question......4a? I guess Shockley with a huge upset over Carroll, but Campbell was very deserving.
(02-23-2012, 10:44 AM)Greg Smith Wrote: Jake would have been a senior I would have gave it to him, because I thought it was the most competetive wt. class

totally agree
(02-23-2012, 11:32 AM)quitter Wrote:
(02-23-2012, 10:44 AM)Greg Smith Wrote: Jake would have been a senior I would have gave it to him, because I thought it was the most competetive wt. class

totally agree

I also agree about 120 being the deepest weight this year and maybe one of the best ever. I don't agree about Jake needing to be a senior to be in the discussion.

The homer in me would go with Walker. Not only did he beat an undefeated wrestler in OT in the finals, he had to go through Lewis, who beat him earlier in the season, to get there.

I think there should be a senior award to recognize a body of work like Brian White's. He did a great job in the tournament, but I think the OW award was more due to his career than the tournament.
I really think a senior should get it...but I really think there should be a light ow and a heavy ow ...there has been a lot of deserving kids in both heavy and light wt. classes that should have shared this award. Just look at this year. it could have been B. White lightweight and B. Walker heavyweight. both very deserving seniors.
(02-23-2012, 12:08 PM)Greg Smith Wrote: but I really think there should be a light ow and a heavy ow

I've seen this given out in other states and I think that it would be a great idea. There were so many choices this year that two winners would have been fair. I also think a senior award would be great. Even seniors who might not have been champs could have won it (T. Moon anyone?)
My mistake, I was confused with most pins.
I don't know how you would award a senior award but I do think the most falls in the least time is just a dumb award.....so maybe you were in the worst bracket at state, thats what that says to me.