Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This season
Well school has started so the 2014 wrestling is right around the corner. It should be a very exciting one with the section changes and the returning state champs and state placers in every class. so with that being said anybody want to take a crack at state finals, state champs, most exciting weight, anticipated match ups or all the above ill kick it off with my prediction of most exciting weight class I'm going to go with 106 cant wait to hear your thoughts
Those who strive to be great will be great, but those that just think they are great think too much!
brandon Cunningham
Dominic latona
Mathew paugh
jacob Goodwin
kahlee Johnson
going to be fun to watch sry if i missed anyone
Those who strive to be great will be great, but those that just think they are great think too much!
i agree 106 should be more competitive than normal. state will be very close in the team standings. i think that section compositions make it easier for some teams and harder for others.
I can't wait to see where Hunter Lee goes. I have been hearing stories that he is enormous and has already passed the 195 mark while bulking up for football. I understand he has no intention of cutting any weight this year either. I imagine he'd have no trouble competing at any weight and he'd run away with 195. If he's at 220, that should be fun to watch him and Shunnarah. I'm also curious to see where Dalton Campbell ends up. I've heard he's also gotten bigger for football and is going heavyweight. He should be very successful there because he's so athletic but I'd love to see him battle Lee and Shunnarah as well. Also wondering where Demos is going.

I expect everyone will run from Nick Weldon at 182 in 6A and he should have a fairly easy season. Not sure where Womack will be this year but he made a big leap in weight classes last year and I would love to see Weldon vs. Womack at some point. That would probably determine who is the best pound for pound wrestler in Alabama. Everyone in 5A will run from Womack as well. I heard he got accepted to Cornell. That's just an amazing achievement. Congratulations!

It's harder to pick the lower weight classes because kids are usually young and grow so quickly at those weights. Who knows where they'll end up this year although Van Alst is still on track to be a 6 timer.

Returning State Champs that should likely repeat are Womack, Weldon, Gilliland, Josh Rogers, Mize, Ryals, Kitchens, Jacob Spencer, Van Alst, and Shankles.

Jaden Hunter should also be a favorite to win this year. I'd have to say that Cunningham now that he's a Fargo All-American should also do well. Something about success at Fargo always leads to success the following year not to mention he'll be a senior at 106.

I believe Hannah Gladden has a shot to place at State this year in 4A although there are only 4 placings instead of 6 and there are only 8 that can qualify. She has really worked hard and matured a lot this year and if she is able to refine her technique and strategy in the next few months and get into the right weight class, she should do very well.

I expect great seasons from Austin Weldon, Davis Perry, Morgan and Matthew Paugh, Caden McWhirter, Riley Pike, Fred Denson, Sam Howard, Kevin McClure, TJ Rayam, Robbey Killough, Heath Williamson, Hank Turner, Brett Winters, Dom Latona, and Brett Whitley. I would expect all to place and some of those could easily win a State Championship depending on what their weight classes look like.

I'm sure I have missed some people but that's most likely because I'm not familiar with them.

Everyone expecting the team championship to come down to Thompson and Vestavia. They should both qualify every weight class at Sectionals with the new rules and being in opposite sections.
Hunter dropped to 188 during 2 a days but is now bouncing between 196 and 200. He will be 195 class for the season but I can see his weight being around 190 in wrestling shape.
Dalton was weighing 230 in May/June for football camps, he is around 225lbs. now. Pretty sure he will remain at 220 this season.
Dalton and alec should be as fun to watch as alec and hunter were at the officials tournament cant wait
(08-26-2013, 03:30 PM)wetuwrestler09tj Wrote: Dalton and alec should be as fun to watch as alec and hunter were at the officials tournament cant wait

Dalton should be the 220 pick this year and I don't think Alec would take that match, but who knows. I thought Demos was a very much improved wrestler last year from were he was the year before and could make things interesting if he continues improving his offense, but I wouldn't be surprised if he bumps to heavyweight. Other than that I think 220 will not be too terribly deep this year.
I would say it is a pick-em between Alec and Dalton. We should get to see Hunter against Alec and Dalton if they are at 220. Hunter has always gone after good matches.
Wonder where they will meet up first could be barry mask if oxford will come idk how to get in touch with the coach to ask wherever they meet it will be one to watch