Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
The Question is Simple..
But the real answer has not been given by those who made it.

Why was Rod Gaddy not selected as this years Alabama's National Team Head Coach?

Opinion, rumor, speculation, commentary, innuendo, aspersions, argument, inference, insult, divisiveness, fact, opinion of fact, testimonials and a whole host of words (some misspelled and or mistyped pretty badly) have all played out on two separate forums regarding this topic but the actual reason remains undisclosed. Until this information has been made available by the people who made the decision all the rest is an act of futility and threatens the baseline of integrity for the entire Alabama wrestling community.

It just cannot be all that hard. Leaders make decisions. They have reasons and they are expressed. In almost every aspect of life this is how it works. Opinion is then formed based on the "why" and "result" of the decision. With the amount of emotion thrown into this topic, one or two paragraphs (or less) providing a well thought out rationale as to why it became imperative to fire a most successful coach would end a discussion that seems to have consumed almost everyone on either of two public forums for way too long. If not here, then call a meeting or hold a conference call. I do not care about the venue because that is beside the point. Responsible leaders (even those who volunteer) are relied upon to provide open and honest communication for their actions. Any reasonable explanation would be understood while blatant omission is not.

This is not about the "overthrow of a Communist country."This was not a decision to determine whether or not we drop the A Bomb to end WWII. This is a simple question asked by a tremendous number of concerned parents regarding the decision made by a board which directly affects the wrestling future of their sons!

The outcome of the answer has been understood (over and over and over) and all the implications that come with it. What has not been answered is the question. Isn't it about time this gets put to rest?
If a parent’s ambition for their son does not extend beyond high school, it is pretty certain their son will be shortchanged where success really matters. Faith, family, grades and all other….. and in that order.
I think the real reason is pretty obvious but you'll never get it in writing because the truth is very petty and nothing they'd admit to. You'll get some politically correct mumbo jumbo instead that means absolutely nothing like "we decided to move in a different direction". I think the board would be doing a great service to the AL wrestling community by admitting their mistake with Fargo this year and fixing it by naming Rod the head coach of our national teams. In public they sing the song of unity, but the reality is far from that. I think they are blinded by hatred and that is sad. That is a tragedy for the kids who wrestle in this state.
At the end of the day my point is this as it relates to me, how anyone else applies it, is up to them:

1) There is a big difference between what I think should be obvious and what others know to be true. Of course, upon the revelation of the truth there may not be any difference but at this point all of that is really anyone’s guess and or up to biased interpretation.

2) All the speculative comments in the world will not satisfy what needs to be openly answered by those who know the reasons and explained to those who genuinely seek the truth.

3) Any parent in this state who has a son in wrestling (now or in the future) deserves to receive an honest, well thought out explanation for the reason a particular coach with an undisputed/unmatched winning streak was arbitrarily replaced. Particularly in the situation where the decision produced less than satisfactory results causing many to doubt the credibility of those who are making the decisions in the first place.

4) "A change of direction" or some like answer without a substantiated reason becomes nothing more than a sound bite. I would think (hope) we are intelligent enough to know the difference and settle for nothing less than complete disclosure. So far, to my knowledge none has been forthcoming.

5) My feelings about this are the same as with voting. If you don’t vote, don’t complain. If you don’t request and actively seek an answer then there is no point in discussing it. If you don’t like the answer do something about it or resolve yourself to comply. However, there is no honor in sabotaging those who are trying to make a difference and even less in making anonymous comments without actively seeking a complete resolve. This in itself is a much bigger tragedy than anything having been perpetrated by a board and a clear indicator of something deeper and more disturbing relating to one's own character. Something that really matters long after the days of this "wrestling debate" are over.

Let's just be honest: Bad things happen when good people do nothing. History has proven that, just as endless bickering on this forum has proven no good will come from it. To be clear, I have no opinion other than my own and this can be expressed relatively well without dragging anyone else through the mud to make it. Not until it is warranted, then, that is a different story altogether. Either way, there will be no "hiding" for when I know I am right, I will not subside. I would rather die trying than live griping. If we teach our kids that we better live it for they are no ones fool-least of all ours.

My understanding is there is an open board meeting coming up sometime in early to mid-September. For those who really want to know the “why’s” of the intricacies behind the sudden need for a coaching change you should make it a point to attend and participate in pursuing an answer. If not, you can show up on the forum and leave interpretation of what really happened to the fingers of those typing your version of their truth.

So far, the status quo has not done anyone a whole heck of a lot of good, least of all my/our/your kids.

Kyle Hall

(08-28-2011, 12:20 PM)shootshute Wrote: I think the real reason is pretty obvious but you'll never get it in writing because the truth is very petty and nothing they'd admit to. You'll get some politically correct mumbo jumbo instead that means absolutely nothing like "we decided to move in a different direction". I think the board would be doing a great service to the AL wrestling community by admitting their mistake with Fargo this year and fixing it by naming Rod the head coach of our national teams. In public they sing the song of unity, but the reality is far from that. I think they are blinded by hatred and that is sad. That is a tragedy for the kids who wrestle in this state.

If a parent’s ambition for their son does not extend beyond high school, it is pretty certain their son will be shortchanged where success really matters. Faith, family, grades and all other….. and in that order.
Although Rod was not elected as the head coach of Team AL for Fargo and I don't know the legistics of why he was not on the coaching staff as a regular coach, but besides the point, a 30 day intensive camp was offered at WWC and was promoted by alabamawrestling.net day after day. Attendance at the camp was primarly WWC kids with a few others. Those kids proved themselves successful at SE regionals but not at Fargo. We needed training partners. You need light weights to train with heavier guys to work on there speed and heavier kids to work with the big boys to work on their strength. Attendance was a huge factor. Although timetowrestle got slammed on here, he started with a few valid points but then got completely obsurd. If more kids showed up to our camp, which we had 3 a day practices with strength training and intense live wrestling different partners could have pushed each other to the limits and felt the competion in the room. I understand your concerns RJ, but Rod had options to push his kids to attend our camp and for some reason they did not attend. No offense to you Rod, but I am just wanting us to come together as a state. When I was on team PA that's how we did it...
You are very naive. It's not that simple as just having a few more kids. That would not have changed anything except for a few more losses. Rod did not tell his kids not to go, Rod's kids don't want to go unprepared and lose. I think that was proven by the posts of many parents. WWC 30 day training camp is not equal to Rod's 30 day training camp and they know this. They also do not want to compete in Fargo without their coach who they believe in. I think it was proven that the WWC training camp was ineffective. Rod has won more at Fargo with less wrestlers and less talent. There will be no coming together as long as there is an attempt to exclude the best coach in the state. You can't walk in to this conversation a year later and think you're going to fix it by simply telling everyone to come together without understanding the history and I'm sure you're only getting a slanted, one-side of the story.
(08-30-2011, 09:40 AM)shootshute Wrote: You are very naive.
That's a bold statement shute considering my track record. Take a moment and look at my bio on WWC website. Come back and well discuss some more things...

"Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."
Luke 23:34
Bios mean nothing. We were told that we had the best coaching staff ever with the most talented wrestlers ever. We had a Fargo winner as the freestyle coach. We had a wrestler on the Olympic ladder as the greco coach. We had the reigning state high school coach as the head coach. We had more coaches than we knew what to do with. Rod warned them that their training approach would not work. He tried it years ago and it didn't work. They insisted this was going to be the best prepared, best coached team ever yet they failed. Even though Rod they did not want Rod involved they still have found some way to blame him for their incompetence. And I will stick to it that even adding AWC kids to the WWC camp would not have made a significant difference. Rod has a proven record of success. Being a great wrestler does not make anyone a great coach. Those are two completely different skill sets. You are very naive about the politics involved and that's probably because you just showed up and only have one side of the story. Yes there are politics in wrestling whether you like it or not and if you don't think your side has really slick politicians, it's because they are really good at it. You have been manipulated and you don't even know it.

"The Antichrist will appear as a beautiful man and woo the masses with his charisma."
Perhaps the coaching staff will chage next year. This year I decided not to go due to running a camp for our youth while the big boys were at fargo. Thats why you have a head coach and an assistant. We work together as a team. This was a building year and it didn't work out and it was plainly shown in bad results. Next season hopefully shall be different. We have a chance to learn from the mistakes we as the Alabama Wrestling Community to attempt to not let it happen again. Whether Rod is included or not, it really doesn't matter. Continually saying he is the best coach in this state is a very bold statement. Has he developed his youth to be the best. WWC won bantam state. WWC won Novice state. WWC took second in Intermediate state. AWC won Middle school. WWC is the future of Alabama wreslting. Period.
"Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."
Luke 23:34
It is not a bold statement. Rod is the best coach in the state. To say otherwise is wishful thinking or maybe delusional (I won't say naive. I know you don't like that). Put his record up against anybody. Show me with facts who is better. Most of those WWC kids were trained by Rod for 2 years and this year WWC and Thompson reaped all the benefits just as Hoover did the year before. WWC fires Rod, makes him start from nothing and takes credit for all his training while leaving him with no way to compete against them? It's ridiculous to use this year as some sort of proof. Let's see if they can sustain that for a few years. Rod had to start all over in a new area with new kids this year. Even if all his kids were first year state champs, there just weren't enough of them to win the title in the younger age groups. Most of the kids that went with him to the new location were middle school and high school age. Little kids tend to go to the closest club around. Let's wait a few years for him to build up the numbers again and you'll see who is the best coach.
Most of those WWC kids were trained by Rod for 2 years and this year WWC and Thompson reaped all the benefits just as Hoover did the year before.

Those kids were also trained by me for 2 years as well...